Monday 14 July 2008

New responsibilities

Every week, I have a 30 minutes session catch up with my manager where we can talk about anything… being work related or non-work related. Most of the time we were just having a casual chat and gives us an excuse to stay away from work. Back in March 08, she surprised me when she mentioned if I was interested in a vacant Sarbanes Oxley Leader (SOx) role within my department. I have done some SOx work when I was in chartered accounting firm, as a third party and would not mind doing it again.

It didn’t take me too long to accept the role. One, it will keep me busy for the second half of the year. Two, you can only gain valuable experience from managing a team of 20 experienced colleagues. Three, it will look darn good in my resume. :D

My senior management agreed in my appointment. “Great!” said to myself. I acknowledged that it’s going to be a steep learning curve, technical and especially management aspect. I have done some management when I was a senior auditor in chartered accounting firms. This time around will not be the same. What’s so different is that I’ll be managing a team that has done SOx in my company before. What do I know that they don’t?

I was introduced in the SOx kick-off meeting and explained a little on my role and where do I fit into the whole picture. I noticed that some eyebrows were raised and I totally understand that. I would probably done the same thing if I were to be in their shoes. I am just a new kid in my company, in my department. I would be naïve if I don’t understand that.

I have started doing SOx and so far, I have not encounter any major setbacks. Fingers crossed! The support from my senior management is tremendous and it sort of lightens my burden as well knowing that assistance is readily available. Rather than trying to re-invent the wheel, assistance is just a phone call away.

Pressure is mounting… having to deliver the results, meeting the expectations of my senior management and shine in the end, it’s not an easy task but I a already loving every bits of it. Call me crazy, call me nuts, this is who I am.

I was having second thoughts 8 months ago whether moving out from chartered to industry is a right move or whether the timing is right, that my missus and I only came back to Melbourne early last year. Based on where I am at the moment, I could not be happier that I made the move. True, it has been and will be tough but worth every bit of it. The exposure is much better and the recognition both internal and external is definitely there.

There’s a light at the end of the tunnel!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great to hear it! :D

de-Kaffeinated! said...

Hey bro, am happy that you always look at the glass as being half full. One thing you have reminded me here is 'don't re-invent the wheels'. I will remember that when I'm at a crossroad or when I'm stuck in something.

Good that you always take on new challenges to push yourself. Proud of ya!