Tuesday 29 July 2008

The Choice of Life

Lily and I just came back from the local supermarket not far from where we live, to do our weekly groceries. This time, it's a little bit different and I thought it's worth mentioning. No I didn't find a $100 note or spent couple of hundreds in a single receipt.

When I walked into the supermarket, a decent dressed mid twenties female, hair nicely combed, decent make up on her face, approached me. She was holding a deodorant with both her hands at her chest level. I thought she needed some direction as to where the dairy products or deli is located or something. To my surprise, she asked me if I wanted to buy the deodorant she was holding. Her excuse was she no longer needed it.

I could not believe what I was hearing. Why would I want to buy anything that has yet to be paid for from another person? How did I know its not paid? The supermarket's tag was still clearly visible. If she has gone through the check-out counter, the tag would have been removed. She was up to something, for sure. I then politely declined her saying that I simply have no use of the deodorant. Her facial expression changed dramatically and started asking me if I had small change for her to make a phone call. Declined her again for a simple fact that I really didn't have any change with me. She walked away while making some remarks.

It was not clear what her whole remark was, it didn't bother me and I left it as it was. After awhile, I saw her again chatting with a man, poorly dressed, eyes half opened, carrying a bottle of hard liquor. She then started walking out with him, holding each other's hand, just like a young couple still very much in love.

When you put the pieces together, you would have the same thought that I have. I am glad that I didn't fall for her trick and can't help but to feel sorry for both of them. It is not as if they are not getting enough support from the government. They get weekly allowance that should be enough to last them for the whole week if used moderately.

Deep down inside, I feel a little bit cheated. Australia's tax is one of the highest in the world and everyone pays massive amount of tax every month. A portion of it goes to them, to give them food, shelter, warm cloths, development, education, etc. Just not fully appreciated. I guess I'll never understand.

On a more positive note, because of the weekly allowance given to them, they are less likely to be desperate for cash, hence less robbery, less snatch thieves, etc.
It is everyone's choice by the end of the day how to live their life.

No comments: