Sunday 20 July 2008

I am an addict!

Yes... I am putting my hands up and admit I am an addict... for all the right reasons. Some are hooked on ciggies, some are hooked on computers, I am hooked on working out at the gym. I've always packed my gym clothings the night before and put it my car so that I can dash off to get some sweat out after spending 8 hours in the office.

Things do not usually go as planned.

Last week, work was abundance, was pressing for time to get work done by the end of each day, weekend came too soon and by the time I decided to call it a day, all I wanted was to get home as quickly as possible, spent some time with my missus and sat in front of our tv with my feets up. I was just too tired for anything else.

No gym on the fist 2 days of the week. By Wednesday, I was starting to feel restless, was getting harder go focus on my work and patience was running lower as well. It felt like something was missing, incomplete. I knew what I had to do but no immediate action was taken. Call me a slacker and I will not challenge you.

It was Saturday arvo that I finally got myself a good round of workout. Because it was Sat, I didn't have anything planned until later in the evening. Went to the gym knowing that I can spend the whole arvo without any disturbance. It was a good workout... satisfied my addiction.

I felt so much better, somewhat happier and increased self-esteem. I never thought of it as a problem until when I was driving home that I started to realize this can be a problem if viewed at a different angle. "I may be a gym addict", I told myself.

I did not want to jump to any conclusion without knowing the exact meaning of "addiction". Was sort of giving myself a false sense of hope... better than no hope at all. Googled it and according to Wikipedia "addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning and develops physical dependence".

That pretty much sums it up what I went through last week.

As I said earlier on, depends on which angle you look at it, I can gain from it or suffer the effects of it. The fact is that the pros outweights the cons and my addiction is not severe as compared to cigarettes or drugs addiction.

I'll be alright and hopefully it will add more life to my years. :)

2 comments:

hyperhex.com said...

i did 8 classes this week. and another class of hot yoga. am i an addict to ?

Stephen said...

hahahaha... yes you are!!! :D gym is part of your career, a small portion of it. hope you are not as much of an addict as i am. :D